Monday, March 21, 2016

Compose your Frame

As I walked around the Holland building I took a lot of really good pictures. My trouble was finding something that applied to all three criteria. I also wanted something unique I finally settled on a picture I took from the stairs in between the mezzanine and the second floor looking down on the first floor.
This photo follows the rule of thirds because the strongest contrasting points, in this case the two people, are positioned almost perfectly along the lines and intersections. I would like to point out that I did not set up this picture in any way. I simply help my camera over the edge and snapped a few shots. I love that the red stands out so brilliantly against the rest of the colors (black, white and gray). I couldn't have planned it better.
I think the black ropes near the women provide a somewhat diagonal line. All other lines in this photo are either vertical or horizontal. This contrast amplifies the dramatic movement caused by the diagonal line.
Throughout my search through the Holland building vectors were the most difficult to find. However this picture shows two examples of vectors. The tiles on the floor are examples of a graphic vector because it encourages the eye to move upward. The people in the picture are examples of motion vectors because they lead the eye throughout the frame. They also make us sense movement while still being stuck in one position.

No comments:

Post a Comment